Decoding the Careers Centre
No matter what stage you are at, the Careers Centre is here to support you at every step of your career journey.
Here are our top tips on how to get started:
Speak to a Careers Adviser
Our Careers Advisers are here to support you with all career-related topics. They can:
- inform you on how to gain work experience.
- offer insight into networking with employers and alumni.
- provide guidance on how best to approach interviews.
- engage in general discussion about your future career.
Whatever question you may have, a careers appointment could help you find the answer.
You can also have your CV, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile checked by one of our fully trained CV advisers.
We also offer longer 45-minute career guidance appointments following referral by an adviser. To find out more about all of the appointments that we offer, visit our Book an appointment page.
Sign-up for events
We organise a varied programme of events, including:
- Skills workshops.
- Networking events.
- Employer and alumni presentations.
- Careers fairs.
Attending these events is a great way to explore your career options, see what’s out there, and develop your employability skills.
We are also running a variety of Career Ready Sessions on how to write an effective CV, exploring whether postgraduate study is right for you, career development for students with a disability and many more.
All events can be booked on CareerConnect.
Careers Fairs 2022
Don’t miss the opportunity to meet employers (in-person) at our careers fairs in October. All students welcome!
- Science & Technology Fair – Wednesday 5 October – 11am – 3pm
- Careers Fair (all other sectors) – Friday 7 October – 11am – 3pm
We will be hosting a Quiet Accessible Half Hour between 11:00-11:30. This is designed to create an inclusive, quiet and comfortable environment for those that require or prefer this.
Both fairs will take place in the Students’ Association, St Mary’s Place, St Andrews.
To find out more and to book your place, visit our events page.
We can help you get in touch with alumni of the University, including those who have entered a job you are interested in, or studied the same course as you. You will be able to benefit from their experience, as well as create useful contacts for the future. This includes Saint Connect, a platform for connecting with St Andrews alumni, and Coffee Connect, which lets you meet informally with recent graduates of the University.
Use our free resources
We offer several online resources to help you find a job. These include:
- GoinGlobal – provides worldwide job and internship resources for more than 120 locations. Access it through the jobs outside the UK page.
- Interview360 – improves your interview skills by allowing you to record practice interviews and offering feedback on your performance. It also includes a library of the most commonly asked interview questions. Access it through the interview skills page.
- Graduates First – helps you practise the psychometric tests that many large graduate employers use regularly. Access it through the psychometric tests page.
- CareerSet – offers immediate AI-generated feedback on your CV and cover Letter, including how to tailor a CV to a specific job description. Access it through CareerSet’s website.
If you need any help accessing or using these resources, please contact [email protected].
Visit our website
Our website has lots of great advice and information to help you explore your career options, develop your skills and support you in your career journey.
Have a look at our new Internships and employability experiences pages which offer:
- Advice and guidance on how to research and pursue internships.
- Unique employability opportunities at every stage of your university journey.
- Access to apply to internships and other work experience opportunities.
- Formal recognition of work experience you have undertaken where possible.
- Support with applying to internships in the UK and internationally.
We have recently created a section dedicated to Equality, diversity and inclusion which provides resources to help empower students to design a career that is meaningful and relevant to them, and to find employment in a welcoming, inclusive, and respectful environment.
The Careers Centre is open Monday to Friday from 10am to 5pm. We look forward to seeing you soon!