Making the most of the Careers Fairs 2023
Don’t miss the opportunity to meet employers at our Careers Fairs in September! All students are welcome.
The Careers Centre is hosting two in-person Careers Fairs this year, giving you the opportunity to reach as many employers as possible from the sectors that interest you.
Whether or not you have a career path in mind, come along to these events to explore your options and find out about insight days, internships or graduate opportunities.
Both Careers Fairs will take place in the St Andrews Town Hall, Queen’s Gardens, St Andrews.
Science and Technology Fair
Wednesday 27 September 2023
11am to 3pm
- Automation Consultants
- Data Intellect
- IMC Trading
- Love the Oceans Marine Conservation (also attending the Careers Fair – Friday 29th September)
- NCR Corporation
- Next DLP
- Palantir Technologies
- Shearwater Geoservices
- St Andrews University Admissions
- STACS (Univeristy of St Andrews’ Computer Science Society)
- Teach First (also attending the Careers Fair – Friday 29th September)
- University of St Andrews – School of Medicine (ScotGEM) – Graduate Entry Medicine
- WICS (Women in Computer Science Society)
Careers Fair (all other sectors)
Friday 29 September 2023
11am to 3pm
- BABRI Global
- Barclays Bank
- Cabinet Office
- Chambers Student Guide
- Debevoise & Plimpton
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Entrepreneurial Scotland
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Gallagher Re
- Hymans Robertson
- Isio Group Limited
- Lloyds Banking Group
- Love The Oceans
- Mars & Co (Consulting) Ltd
- Milbank LLP
- OC&C Strategy Consultants
- Royal Air Force (Careers Office)
- Teach First
- The Scottish Government Statistics Group
- The University of Law
- University of St Andrews Admissions
- University of St Andrews Law Society
- Unlocked Graduates
- Vinson & Elkins RLLP
- Walter Scott
- Water Industry Commission for Scotland
We will be hosting a quiet accessible half hour from 11am to 11.30am. This is designed to create an inclusive, quiet and comfortable environment for anyone who wants or needs it.
Please book your place through CareerConnect to attend:
During the fairs, you will have the chance to chat with employers about what opportunities are available, find out what working for them is really like and ask questions. The fairs are a great way of growing your network and building your confidence, even if this is your first year at St Andrews. Careers Advisers will also be available to provide support or answer student queries.
Prepare for the fairs sessions
For further advice on making the most out of your time at the fairs, come along to a Prepare for the Fair session with our Careers Advisers, who will help you with asking the right questions and making the most of your time.
Prepare for the fair sessions sign-up:
Top tips for making the most of your time at the fairs
Do your research
Before coming to the fairs, you can look at the scheduled list of employers and decide which ones you would like to engage with. You can then research the employer beforehand to ensure you understand their organisation. You can do this by having a look on their website, by checking any recent news about them, and by looking at their social media activity (including on LinkedIn).
Reflect on your experiences
Take some time to reflect on your experiences so far so that you can confidently engage in a conversation with an employer. Think about both academic and extracurricular achievements. You might wish to introduce yourself, talk about your experiences and tell the employer why you are attending the fair.
Prepare some questions (and answers!)
Coming to the fairs is a good start, but preparing some questions for employers in advance will help you get the most out of the day.
Some good questions include:
- What is a typical day like for the employee?
- What has been the most unexpected thing about joining the company?
- What are the challenges facing the organisation at the moment?
- What are the skills they would like graduates to have?
- What are the common misconceptions about working in the company?
You should also prepare some answers to questions employers might have for you. This might include questions like:
- What do you know about us?
- What interests you about working for us?
- What attracts you to a career in this industry?
- What skills and qualities do you think would be important for this role and at our company?
Come along and enjoy yourself! No matter what year you are in or what you are studying – employers from a wide range of sectors want to meet and share their opportunities directly with you, in a relaxed and friendly environment.